Lee Turner, OD
Call Today: 336-627-1125
- Our Blog
Are you considering LASIK?
Are you considering LASIK? Here are a few of the questions to ask during your appointment:
- Is my prescription within the approved range? LASIK is approved by the FDA to treat certain degrees of nearsightedness, farsightedness and certain types and degrees of astigmatism.
- Am I the right age for it? Eyes and visual acuity fluctuate to about age 25, during pregnancy, breastfeeding or menopause, and after age 40-45 (when presbyopia and other aging eye changes may begin).
- Have my eyes been relatively stable?
- Are my current work, family life, and sports and recreation choices compatible with LASIK?
- What results can I reasonably expect? What might be the best and worst case scenarios?
- If LASIK results do not meet our goals, what might be involved in retreatment?
- About how long does it take for eyes to recover and adjust after LASIK? What kinds of adjustments at work or home might I need to make during this time?
- If I experience any undesirable side effects, about how long might it be before these resolve, and how might they be treated?
- Would any of the medications I’m taking, either prescription or over-the-counter, rule out LASIK or affect the results?
- Do I have other general health or eye conditions that might rule out LASIK or need to be treated and resolved before the procedure? Diabetes, autoimmune diseases, immunodeficiency states; eye conditions including: dry eye, uveitis and other eye inflammations, eye injuries or previous surgeries, keratoconus, corneal scarring, cataract, glaucoma, retinal disease, ocular herpes can all affect your ability to successfully have LASIK.
- What are the costs of LASIK and of potential related treatments?